Department of Chemistry
Effect of H2O2 Addition on the Photocatalyst Properties of Ag3PO4 for Methylene Blue Photodegradation
In this work, a facile enhanced property of Ag3PO4 photocatalyst using H2O2 for methylene blue photodegradation has been conducted. Ag3PO4 photocatalyst was synthesized using the co-precipitation method. Then, the photocatalytic activity and stability of Ag3PO4 were tested in the methylene blue degradation under the addition of an H2O2 30% solution. According to the results, the prolonged photocatalysis reaction led to a decrease in the catalysis ability of the Ag3PO4 photocatalyst. Meanwhile, the addition of 5 mL of H2O2 (AH-10% sample) tends to enhance the stability of Ag3PO4 photocatalyst with the dye removal percentage and recycling test were up to 90.3% and three recycle runs, respectively. The low stability of Ag3PO4 might be due to the catalyst photo-corrosion through Ag+ reduction. This research suggests that H2O2 is beneficial to inhibit the photo-corrosion of Ag3PO4 photocatalyst, even though released Ag ions that were caused by the excess addition of H2O2 oxidizing agent should be considered.
Keywords: Ag3PO4; H2O2 compound; methylene blue; photocatalysis; photocatalyst stability
- Agbe, H., Raza, N., Dodoo-Arhin, D., Chauhan, A., and Kumar, R.V. 2018. H2O2 rejuvenation-mediated synthesis of stable mixed-morphology Ag3PO4 photocatalysts, Heliyon, 4, 1-25.
- Anwer, H., and Park, J.-W., 2019, Analogous crystal orientation for immobilizing rGO/ZrO2/Ag3PO4 nanocomposite on a fluorine-doped tin oxide substrate, J. Hazard. Mater., 369, 375-383.
- Bai, S., Shen, X., Lv, H., Zhu, G., and Bao, C., 2013, Assembly of Ag3PO4 nanocrystals on graphene-based nanosheets with enhanced photocatalytic performance, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 9, 559‒564.
- Chai, B., Li, J., and Xu, Q., 2014, Reduced graphene oxide grafted Ag3PO4 composites with efficient photocatalytic activity under visible-light irradiation, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 53, 8744-8752.
- Chen, Z., Li., X., Xu, Q., Tao, Z., Yao, F., Huang, X., Wu, Y., Wang, D., Jiang, P., and Yang, Q., 2020, Three-dimensional network space Ag3PO4/NP-CQDs/rGH for enhanced organic pollutant photodegradation: Synergetic photocatalysis activity and effect of real water quality parameters, Chem. Eng. J., 390, 1-12.
- Chen, Z., Wang, W., Zhang, Z., and Fang, X., 2014, High-efficiency visible-light-driven Ag3PO4/AgI photocatalysts: Z-scheme photocatalytic mechanism for their enhanced photocatalytic activity, J. Phys. Chem. C, 117, 19346-19352.
- Diao, Z.-H., Pu, S.-Y., Qian, W., Liang, S., Kong, L.-J., Xia, D.-H., Lei, Z.-X., Liu, H., and Yang, J.-W., Photocatalytic removal of phenanthrene and algae by novel Ca-Ag3PO4 composite under visible light: Reactivity and coexisting effect, Chemosphere, 221, 511-518.
- Deng, Y., and Zhao, R., 2015, Advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) in wastewater treatment, Curr. Pollut. Rep., 1, 167-176.
- Febiyanto, Eliani, I.V., Riapanitra, A., and Sulaeman, U., 2016, Synthesis and visible light photocatalytic properties of iron oxide-silver orthophosphate composites, AIP Conf. Proc., 1725, 1-7.
- Febiyanto and Sulaeman, U., 2020, The starting material concentration dependence of Ag3PO4 synthesis for rhodamine B photodegradation under visible light irradiation, Jurnal Kimia Valensi, 6, 1-8.
- Hewer, T.L.R., Machado, B.C., Freire, R.S., and Guardani, R., 2014, Ag3PO4 sunlight-induced photocatalyst for degradation of phenol, RSC Adv., 4, 34676‒34680.
- Ji, B., Zhao, W., Duan, J., Fu, L., and Yang, Z., 2020, Immobilized Ag3PO4 on 3D nickel foam and its photocatalytic degradation of norfloxacin antibiotic under visible light, RSC Adv., 10, 4427-4435.
- Ji, Z., Zhao, J., Shen, X., Yue, X., Yuan, A., Zhou, H., and Yang, J., 2015, Construction of magnetically separable Ag3PO4/Fe3O4/GO composites as recycle photocatalysts, Ceram. Int., 41, 13509-13515.
- Jia, J., Huang, W., Feng, C., Zhang, Z., Zuojiao, K., Liu, J., Jiang, C., and Wang, Y., 2019, Fabrication of g-C3N4/Ag3PO4-H2O2 heterojunction system with enhanced visible-light photocatalytic activity and mechanism insight, J. Alloys Compd., 790, 616–625.
- Jiang, J.-Q. and Lloyd, B., 2002, Progress in the development and use of ferrate(VI) salt as oxidant and coagulant for water and wastewater treatment, Water Res., 36, 1397-1408.
- Joo, H., 2006, A simple technique to determine quantum yield for UV photocatalytic decomposition studies, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 23, 931-934.
- Katsumata, H., Taniguchi, M., Kaneco, S., and Suzuki, T., 2013, Photocatalytic degradation of bisphenol A by Ag3PO4 under visible light, Catal. Commun., 34, 30–34.
- Khan, A., Qamar, M., and Muneer, M., 2012, Synthesis of highly active visible-light-driven colloidal silver orthophosphate, Chem. Phys. Lett., 519-520, 54-58.
- Li, G., Zhu, M., Chen, J., Li, Y., and Zhang, X., 2011, Production and contribution of hydroxyl radicals between the DSA anode and water interface, J. Environ. Sci. (China), 23, 744-748.
- Luo, L., Li, Y., Hou, J., and Yang, Y., 2014, Visible photocatalysis and photostability of Ag3PO4 photocatalyst, Appl. Surf. Sci., 319, 332–338.
- Ma, J., Li, L., Zou, J., Kong, Y., and Komarneni, S., 2014, Highly efficient visible light degradation of Rhodamine B by nanophasic Ag3PO4 dispersed on SBA-15, Microporous and Mesoporous Mater., 193, 154‒159.
- Mu, Z., Hua, J., Tammina, S.K., and Yang, Y., 2019, Visible light photocatalytic activity of Cu, N co-doped carbon dots/Ag3PO4 nanocomposites for neutral red under green LED radiation, Colloids Surf. A Physicochem Eng. Asp., 578, 1-8.
- Pavanello, A., Blasco, A., Johnston, P.E., Miranda, M.A., and Marin, M.L., 2020, Enhanced photodegradation of synthetic dyes mediated by Ag3PO4-based semiconductors under visible light irradiation, Catalysts, 10, 1-17.
- Piccirillo, C., Pinto, R.A., Tobaldi, D.M., Pullar, R.C., Labrincha, J.A., Pintado, M.M.E., and Castro, P.M.L., 2015, Light induced antibacterial activity and photocatalytic properties of Ag/Ag3PO4-based material of marine origin, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A Chem., 296, 40–47.
- Qian, X., Xu, H., Zhang, X., Lei, R., Gao, J., and Xu, S., 2019, Enhanced visible-light-driven photocatalytic activity of Ag3PO4/metal-organic framework composite, Polyhedron, 163, 1–6.
- Riapanitra, A., Futihah, I., Sulaeman, U., Yin, S., and Sato, T., 2015, The role of Fe ions on the photocatalytic reaction of Ag3PO4 for rhodamine B degradation, Advanced Materials Research, 112, 158-162.
- Setyaningtyas, T., Riyani, K., Handayani, S.N., and Firdharini, C., 2019, Degradation of congo red in batik wastewater using fenton reagent under visible rays, IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng., 509, 1-7.
- Sulaeman, U., Febiyanto, F., Yin, S., and Sato, T., The highly active saddle-like Ag3PO4 photocatalyst under visible light irradiation, Catal. Commun., 85, 22-25.
- Song, L., Chen, Z., Li, T., and Zhang, S., 2017, A novel Ni2+-doped Ag3PO4 photocatalyst with high photocatalytic activity and enhancement mechanism, Mater. Chem. Phys., 186, 271‒279.
- Tama, J., Riyani, K., and Setyaningtyas, T., 2020, Effect of ultraviolet and visible lights on degradation of congo red dye using Fe2+/H2O2, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 1494, 1-12.
- Trench, A.B., Machado, T.R., Gouveia, A.F., Assis, M., da Trindade, L.G., Santos, C., Perrin, A., Perrin, C., Olivia, M., Andres, J., and Longo, E., 2018, Connecting structural, optical, and electronic properties and photocatalytic activity of Ag3PO4:Mo complemented by DFT calculations, Appl. Catal. B Environ., 238, 198-211.
- aWang, C., Cao, M., Wang, P., Ao, Y., Hou, J., and Qian, J., 2014, Preparation of a magnetic graphene oxide-Ag3PO4 composite photocatalyst with enhanced photocatalytic activity under visible light irradiation, J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Engrs., 45, 1090-1096.
- bWang, Y., Liu, J., Wang, Y., Fan, C., and Ding, G., 2014, Regeneration of novel visible-light-driven Ag/Ag3PO4@C3N4 hybrid materials and their photocatalytic stability, Materials Sci. Semicond. Proc., 25, 330-336.
- Wang, Z., Hu, T., Zhang, J., and Liang, C., 2017, Construction of Z-scheme Ag3PO4/Bi2WO6 composite with excellent visible-light photodegradation activity for removal of organic contaminants, Chinese J. Catal., 38, 2021-2029.
- Wu, S., Zheng, H., Lian, Y., and Wu, Y., 2013, Preparation, characterization, and enhanced visible-light photocatalytic activities of BiPO4/BiVO4 composites, Mater. Res. Bull., 48, 2901–2907.
- Xie, Y.P., and Wang, G.S., 2014, Visible light responsive porous lanthanum-doped Ag3PO4 photocatalyst with high photocatalytic water oxidation activity, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 430, 1‒5.
- Xu, B., Wang, X., Zhu, C., Ran, X., Li, T., and Guo, L., 2017, Probing the inhomogeneity and intermediates in the photosensitized degradation of rhodamine B by molecule approach, RSC Adv., 7, 40896–40904.
- Yi, Z., Ye, J., Kikugawa, N., Kako, T., Ouyang, S., Stuart-Williams, H., Yang, H., Cao, J., Luo, W., Li, Z., Liu, Y., and Withers, R.L., 2010, An orthophosphate semiconductor with photooxidation properties under visible-light irradiation, Nat. Mater, 9, 559‒564.
- Zhang, P., O’Connor, D., Wang, Y., Jiang, L., Xia, T., Wang, L., Tsang, D.C.W., Ok, Y.S., and Hou, D., 2020, A green biochar/iron oxide for methylene blue removal, J. Hazard. Mater., 384-1-8.
- Zheng, W., Wanliang, Y., He, G., Chi, J., Duan, Y., Chen, M., Liu, M., Sun, Q., and Tian, M., 2019, Facile synthesis of extremely small Ag3PO4 nanoparticles on hierarchical hollow silica sphere (HHSS) for the enhanced visible-light photocatalytic property and stability, Colloids Surf. A Physicochem Eng. Asp., 571, 1‒8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.