Federal University of Kashere - Nigeria
The Role of Ulama in Countering Boko Haram Insurgency: A Pattern of the Al-Azhar ‘Ulama
The eruption of Boko Haram and its insurgency in 2009 caused the loss of life and property that is unprecedented in northern Nigeria's history since independence. Various tools and approaches have been used in analyzing a phenomenon with a view to offering solutions to it. People from various walks of life including professionals and experts have expressed their views and opinions about groups, their activities and ways to limit them. Since the group is rightly or wrongly associated and identified with Islam in its activities, experts especially the ulama analyze the group from an Islamic perspective using the Qur'an and Sunnah and the actions of the salaf as their basis for offering solutions. to group problems. With this background, this paper examines the role of Ulama in dealing with the imbroglio of Boko Haram by using the Ulama model of Al Azhar University in particular. The historical method was adopted with data mostly collected from printed materials and the internet. This paper recommends among other things that our scholars should follow some of the approaches used by Al'azhar scholars in eliminating the influence of extremist and rebel groups. .
Keywords: Boko Haram, Ulama, Al'azhar, Rebellion.
- Abdallah, Nurudeen M. 2011. Nigeria: How Boko Haram began, by Borno P.D.P.” Daily Trust(Abuja), November 23, www.dailytrust.com.ng accessed June 9, 2015.
- Abdulhakeem, Akanni. 2016. Violence in the name of God: An Analytical Study of the Boko Haram Insurgency in Nigeria in Religion in contemporary Nigeria ed. Y.A. Quadri et.al,87-93, London: Adonis & Abbey Publishers Ltd.
- Attayib, Ahmed. Ed. 2014. A summary of all papers presented at Al-Azhar Conference for Confronting Terrorism and Extremism. Cairo: Darul Qudus Al-Arabiy.
- Abdallah, Nurudeen M. 2011. Nigeria how Boko Haram Began, by Borno PDP. Daily trust (Abuja), November 23, www.dailytrust.com.ng accessed June 9, 2015).
- Al-Azhar University News later: www.azhar.edu.eg/en/News/al-azhar-university-http://ngex.com/news/public/newsinfo.php
- Da’awa Co-ordination Council.2009. The Boko Haram tragedy. Minna: I.E.T. 2017 “Is Boko Haram? Minna, I.E.T.
- Darulifta Cairo,Egypt: www.dar-alifta.org.
- Darulifta Cairo www.dar-alifta.com.
- Darulifta Cairo www.dar-alifta.net.
- Al-Azhar University News later: www.azhar.edu.eg/en/News/al-azhar-university-http://ngex.com/news/public/newsinfo.php.
- Hassan, Ibrahim Haruna. 2015. An Introduction to Islamic Movements and Modes of Thoughts in Nigeria. PAS/ISITA Working Papers No.1 program of African studies Northwestern University 620 Library Place Evanstorn, Illonois 60208-4110 U.S.A.
- International Crisis Group Africa Report N°216 | 3 April 2014 “Curbing Violence in Nigeria (II): The Boko Haram Insurgency”, Brussels, Belgiu.
- Marc-Antoine Pérouse de Montclos September 2014. Nigeria’s Interminable Insurgency? Addressing the Boko Haram Crisis The Royal Institute of International Affairs Chatham House. London: SW1Y 4LE.
- Ngex News. 2009. we have started a Jihad in Nigeria. Which no Force on Earth can Stop-Boko Haram. August 17, http://ngex.com/news/public/newsinfo.php? mid=8469.
- Quadri Y.A. 2013. All in the name of God the 133rd Inaugural lecture. Nigeria: University of Ilorin.
- Shakir, Husam. 2017. Al-Muzhar Fiy Ta’ariy fi bi Jami’atil Azhar. Cairo: Darul Imam Razeey.
- Albaihaqi, Abubakar. 1994. Sunan Albaihaqi Alkubrah. Makkatul Mukarramah: Darul baz.
- Ahmad bin Hanbal, Imam. 1999. Musnad Imam Ahmad bn Hanbal. Jordan: Muassatu Risalah Amman.
- Abdullah , Muhammad bin Yazid Abu (n.d), Sunan Ibn Majah. Beirut Lebanon: Darul Fikr.
- Walker, Andrew June 2012. What Is Boko Haram? by the United States Institute of Peace. Washington, U.S.A: Special Report 308.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.