Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo, Semarang, Central Java - Indonesia
The Effect of Gel-Electrolyte on Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) Prototype based on Nanosized-TiO2 Using Mangosteen Pericarp as Absorber
Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) with Fluorine deped Tin Oxide (FTO) substrat and nanosize-TiO2 layer sensitized by “dye” ,mangosteen pericarp extract, was succesfully fabricated. Gel-Electrolyte as electron regenerator was synthesized by adding Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) 1000 to electrolyte solution while nanosize-TiO2 was synthesized by co-precipitation method from TiCl3 solution. The crystal size of TiO2 characterized by X-Ray Diffraction is 10.5 nm in size. The solar absorbance of “dye” mangosteen pericarp was measured using UV-Vis Spectrophotometer and it showed that the dye can absorb photon at Near Ultraviolet (NUV) to yellow visible light. Nanosize-TiO2 based DSSC with gel-electrolyte successfully reached short circuit current up to 30.9 μA, open circuit voltage 398.3 mV and performed the long term stability. ©2017 JNSMR UIN Walisongo. All rights reserved
Keywords : Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC); Mangosteen Pericarp; Gel-Electrolyte; Nanosized-TiO2
- B. Oregan and M. Gratzel, “a Low-Cost, High-Efficiency Solar-Cell Based on Dye-Sensitized Colloidal Tio2 Films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- A. Kay and M. Grätzel, “Low cost photovoltaic modules based on dye sensitized nanocrystalline titanium dioxide and carbon powder,” Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 99–117, 1996.
- G. P. Smestad, “Demonstrating Electron Transfer and Nanotechnology : A Natural Dye – Sensitized Nanocrystalline Energy Converter,” J. Chem. Educ., vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 752–756, 1998.
- M. M. . Ba-Abbad, A. A. H. . Kadhum, A. B. . Mohamad, M. S. . Takriff, and K. . Sopian, “Synthesis and catalytic activity of TiO 2 nanoparticles for photochemical oxidation of concentrated chlorophenols under direct solar radiation,” Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 4871–4888, 2012.
- K. Sakurai and M. Mizusawa, “X-ray Diffraction Imaging of Anatase and Rutile,” Anal. Chem, vol. 82, no. 9, pp. 3519–3522, 2010.
- I. Rofiah and G. Prajitno, “The effect of gel-electrolyte on the current and voltage DSSC prototype using dye extract mangosteen pericarp (garcinia mangostana L) as dye sensitizer,” Sepuluh Nopember Institut of Technology, 2013.
- M. Grätzel, “Perspectives for Dye -sensitized Nanocrystalline Solar Cells,” Prog. Photovoltaics Res. Appl., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 171–185, 2000.