Universitas Sanata Dharma, Yogyakarta - Indonesia
Redefining the Role of Religion in Contemporary Society: Pope Francis and Sheikh Ahmad Muhammad al-Tayyeb
This paper discusses the position of religion in contemporary society by examining the religious thoughts of two prominent religious leaders: Pope Francis from the Catholic Church and Sheikh Ahmad Muhammad al-Tayyeb from Al-Azhar University, Egypt. The meeting between Pope Francis and Sheikh Ahmad Muhammad al-Tayyeb in Abu Dhabi (February 2019) is a starting point for understanding the process by which the two religious leaders redefined the role of religion in society. Moreover, their responses to contemporary social issues such as terrorism, ecological crisis, war, and social injustices also show how they redefined the role of religion. While each religious leader formulates theological account into its religious tradition, it is obvious that the role of religion for social transformation and humanity is shown to be the central concern of the two religious’ leaders. The two religious traditions go further to put religion as a fundamental agent for society transformation.
Keywords : Pope Francis; Sheikh Ahmad Muhammad al-Tayyeb; social issues; fraternity; religion
- Ammerman, Nancy T. 2014. “Finding Religion in Everyday Life.” Sociology of Religion 75(2):189–207.
- Casanova, José. 2009. “Religion, Politics and Gender Equality: Public Religions Revisited (Draft).” in A Debate on the Public Role of Religion and its Social and Gender Implications, Draft Working Document of United Nations Research Institute for Social Development. Geneva: INRISD.
- DiNardo, Daniel. 2016. The Joy of Discipleship: Reflections from Pope Francis on Walking with Christ. Chicago Illinois: Loyola Press.
- Francis, Pope. 2013a. “Apostolic Exhortation: The Joy of the Gospel, Evangelii Gaudium.” in the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Washington, DC.
- Francis, Pope. 2013b. Encyclical Letter Lumen Fidei: Of the Supreme Pontiff Francis to the Bishops, Priests and Deacons, Consecrated Persons, and the Lay Faithful on Faith. Roma: Libreria Editrice Vaticana.
- Francis, Pope. 2013c. Misericordiae Vultus: Bull of Indiction of the Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy. Roma: Libreria Editrice Vaticana.
- Francis, Pope. 2013d. Open Mind, Faithful Heart: Reflections on Following Jesus. edited by G. Larrazabal. New York: The Crossroad Publishing Company.
- Francis, Pope. 2015. Praise Be to You-Laudato Si: On Care for Our Common Home. Indiana: Our Sunday Visitor Publishing.
- Francis, Pope. 2016a. Amoris Laetitia on Love in the Family. Vatican: Our Sunday Visitor Publishing.
- Francis, Pope. 2016b. “Apostolic Letter Miseri¬cordia et Misera (20 November 2016).” Www.Vatican.Va. Retrieved (http://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_letters/documents/papa-francesco-lettera-ap_20161120_misericordia-et-misera.html).
- Francis, Pope and Sheikh Ahmad Muhammad al-Tayyeb. 2019. “Document on Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together.”
- Habermas, Jürgen. 1983. The Theory of Com-municative Action. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Habermas, Jürgen. 1989. The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere: An Inquiry Into a Category of Bourgeois Society. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Habermas, Jürgen. 1992. Postmetaphysical Thinking: Philosophical Essays. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Habermas, Jürgen. 2001. The Liberating Power of Symbols, Philosophical Essays. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Habermas, Jürgen. 2006. “Religion in the Public Sphere.” European Journal of Philosophy 14(1):1–25.
- Habermas, Jürgen. 2008. Between Naturalism and Religion: Philosophical Essays. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Kaiser, Robert Blair. 2014. Inside the Jesuits: How Pope Francis Is Changing the Church and the World. Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Menoh, Gusti A. B. 2015. Agama dalam Ruang Publik: Hubungan Antara Agama dan Negara dalam Masyarakat Postsekuler menurut Jurgen Habermas. Yogyakarta: Kanisius.
- Sachs, Albie. 2012. “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity: Bringing Human Solidarity Back Into the Rights Equation.” Journal of Human Rights Practice 4(3):365–383.
- al-Tayyeb, Ahmad Muhammad. 2017a. Al-Azhar’s Declarations. Cairo: Al-Azhar Center for Translation.
- al-Tayyeb, Ahmad Muhammad. 2017b. Essential Features of Islam. Cairo: Al-Azhar Center for Translation.
- al-Tayyeb, Ahmad Muhammad. 2017c. Speeches by the Grand Imam on Peace and Tolerance. Cairo: Al-Azhar Center for Translation.
- The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre. 2018. The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre. The Muslim 500: The World’s 500 Most Influencial Muslims. Amman: The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.