Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo Semarang - Indonesia
COSO-based internal control: efforts towards good university governance
Purpose - The purposes of this study are to determine the implementation of internal control, to determine the application of good university governance, and to determine the effect of internal control on good university governance.
Method - The research design is a survey with a quantitative approach. The object of research is UIN Walisongo that has carried out an institutional transformation. The population in this study is all structural officials at UIN Walisongo with 184 people in total. From the distribution of questionnaires, 106 questionnaires were obtained. The analysis technique used is descriptive analysis and Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) analysis with the AMOS program.
Result - The results showed that the application of internal control was carried out in the good category, the application of university governance was in the very good category, and internal control had a significant effect on good university governance.
Implication - The result of the study provide further confirmation of internal control with good university governance. This study, carried out in one educational institutions, therefore more educational institutions are needed to be examined so that the result can be generalized.Originality - The research focuses on educational institutions that specialize in teaching, research and community service. Especially the dimensions of risk analysis are generally discussed in profit organizations.
Keywords : good university governance; internal control; control environment; control activities
- Agyei-mensah, B. (2018). The effect of audit committee effectiveness and audit quality on corporate voluntary disclosure quality. African Journal of Economic and Management Studies, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.10909.36323.
- Agyei-Mensah, B. K. (2016). Internal control information disclosure and corporate governance: evidence from an emerging market. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 16(1), 79–95. https://doi.org/10.1108/CG-10-2015-0136.
- Ansori, A. F. (2018). The Effect of Good University Governance, Effectiveness of Internal Controlling System, and Obedience of Accounting Regulation on the Tendency of Fraud in PTKIN-BLU. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 9(4), 105–112.
- Contrafatto, M. (2014). Stewardship theory: Approaches and perspectives. Advances in Public Interest Accounting, 17, 177–196. https://doi.org/10.1108/S1041-706020140000017007.
- COSO. (2013). Internal Control-Integrated Framework Executive Summary, Coso, (May).
- DeLoach, J., & Thomson, J. (2014). Improving Organizational Performance and Governance: How the COSO frameworks can Help. Committe of Sponsoring Organisation of the Treadway Commission.
- Ghozali, I., & Achmad, T. (2017). The Effect of Internal Audit and Internal Control System on Public Accountability: the Emperical Study. International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology (IJCIET), 8(September), 157–166.
- Hernandez, M. (2012). Toward an understanding of the psychology of stewardship. Academy of Management Review, 37(2), 172–193. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2010.0363.
- INTOSAI. (2016). Guidelines for Internal Control Standards for the Public Sector Gov 9100. 83. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004.
- Khanna, P. (2017). A conceptual framework for achieving good governance at open and distance learning institutions. Open Learning, 32(1), 21–35. https://doi.org/10.1080/02680513.2016.1246246.
- Mosteller, J., & Poddar, A. (2017). Science Direct to Share and Protect: Using Regulatory Focus Theory to Examine the Privacy Paradox of Consumers’ Social Media Engagement and Online Privacy Protection Behaviors. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 39, 27–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intmar.2017.02.003.
- Munawir, Raharjo, K., Djalil, M. A., Syahputra, H., Muslim, B., & Adam, M. (2019). Dimensions of identity strength and organizational citizenship behavior (OCB) in establishing good university governance and performance of religious ideology-based higher educations. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, 11(2), 250–272. https://doi.org/10.1108/JARHE-07-2018-0115.
- Nurhayati, I., Djulius, H., Nurdiansyah, Y., Saptono, E., Yuniarti, Y., Suteja, J., Ahmar, N. (2014). Pengaruh Otonomi dan Akuntabilitas Perguruan Tinggi terhadap Kinerja Manajerial. Trikonomika, 13(1), 1–12.
- Philip L. Foster, A. S. (2019). COSO INTERNAL CONTROL – INTEGRATED FRAMEWORK : A n I mp l e m e n tatio n Gu id e fo r th e (p. 5). p. 5. Retrieved from https://www.coso.org/Documents/COSO-CROWE-COSO-Internal-Control-Integrated-Framework.pdf.
- Pratiwi, A. (2016). Pengaruh Kualitas Penerapan Good Corporate Governance (GCG) Terhadap Kinerja Keuangan pada Bank Umum Syariah Di Indonesia (Periode 2010-2015). Al-Tijary - Jurnal Ekonomi dan Bisnis Islam, 2(1), 55–76. https://doi.org/10.21093/at.v2i1.610.
- Puspitarini, N. D. (2012). Peran Satuan Pengawasan Intern dalam Pencapaian Good University Governance pada Perguruan Tinggi Berstatus PK-BLU. Accounting Analysis Journal, 1(2), 1–8. https://doi.org/2252-6765.
- Qorib, M. (2018). Research in Business and Social Science Good Governance in Private University in Medan. International Journal of Research in Business and Social Science, 7(4), 21–29.
- Rae, K., Sands, J., & Subramaniam, N. (2017). Associations among the Five Components within COSO Internal Control-Integrated Framework as the Underpinning of Quality Corporate Governance. Australasian Accounting, Business and Finance Journal, 11(1), 28–54. https://doi.org/10.14453/aabfj.v11i1.4.
- Rymarzak, M., den Heijer, A., Curvelo Magdaniel, F., & Arkesteijn, M. (2019). Identifying the influence of university governance on campus management: lessons from the Netherlands and Poland. Studies in Higher Education, 0(0), 1–14. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2019.1616167.
- Sawalqa, F. Al, & Qtish, A. (2012). Internal Control and Audit Program Effectiveness: Empirical Evidence from Jordan. International Business Research, 5(9), 128–137. https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v5n9p128.
- Shattock, M. (2013). University governance, leadership and management in a decade of diversification and uncertainty. Higher Education Quarterly, 67(3), 217–233. https://doi.org/10.1111/hequ.12017.
- Suyono, E., & Hariyanto, E. (2012). Relationship Between Internal Control, Internal Audit, and Organization Commitment With Good Governance: Indonesian Case. China-USA Business Review, 11(09), 1237–1245. https://doi.org/10.17265/1537-1514/2012.09.006.
- Taufiq, E., Suharman, H., Zarkasyi, M. W., & Sueb, M. (2017). The effects of company size, corporate strategy, implementation of Environmental Management System (EMS) on the application of environmental management accounting and its impact on corporate innovation (a survey on manufacturing companies in Bekasi, International Journal of Economic Research, 14(13), 21–36.
- Van Puyvelde, S., Caers, R., du Bois, C., & Jegers, M. (2012). The Governance of Nonprofit Organizations: Integrating Agency Theory with Stakeholder and Stewardship Theories. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 41(3), 431–451. https://doi.org/10.1177/0899764011409757.
- Wijayanto, H. (2015). Transparansi Anggaran Pendapatan dan Belanja Daerah (APBD) Melalui Penerapan E-Budgeting (dalam Perspektif Teori Good Governance). The Indonesian Journal of Public Administration (IJPA), 1(1), 72–88. Retrieved from http://journal.uta45jakarta.ac.id/index.php/admpublik/article/view/79/61.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.