Universitas Islam Negeri Sunan Ampel - Indonesia
Considering the Moral Value of the Verse of Riba (Al-Baqarah :275-281) and the Practice of Bank Interest in the 21st Century; Comparative Study of Abdullah Saeed and Ziauddin Sardar
The problem of the practice of riba and bank interest among Qur’anic reviewers, especially those with contextualist views, has never ended. Even there are different opinions among contextualists. This study focuses on analyzing the thoughts and interpretation between Abdullah Saeed and Ziauddin Sardar in addressing riba in Q.S Al-Baqarah: 275-281. This research is qualitative research with a literature research footing. The research method is analytical descriptive. The content analysis uses the muqaran approach from Abdul Mustaqim’s perspective, which aims to further elaborate on how to interpret riba in the series of verses and how the concepts of riba and bank interest according to them. Used in the analysis, the practice of riba which forbidden according to Saeed is, occurred pre-Islamic because it resulted in injustice, pressure, and economic exploitation. Hile bank interest is not included in riba because there is an agreement between the two parties regarding interest rates, laws that regulate, and there is no multiplication. On N contrary, Sardar forbids all kinds of riba practices, including bank interest. N this case, the writer agreed with Saeed, at the same time, offers a synthesis that there is an element of maslah at - the hifz as - aspect in debt receivables through banks, even though they contain interest rates. This is based on the consumptive and productive receivables, both for individuals and institutions, to maintain and develop the business.
Keywords: Bank Interest, Hifz Nafs, Riba, Saeed, Sardar
- Anggoro, Taufan. 2019. “Contemporary Qur'anic Interpretation: A Study of Ziauddin Sardar's Thematic-Contextual Interpretation.” Al-Quds: Journal of the Study of the Qur'an and Hadith 3(2).
- Aziz Jayana, Thoriq. 2019. “The Model of Al-Quran Interpretation in Abdullah Saeed .'s Contextual Hermeneutics Approach.” Journal of Sociological Thoughti 6(2).
- Baidan, Nashruddin. 2011. Method of Interpretation of the Qur'an. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
- Dakhoir dan Jefry Tarantang, Ahmad. 2018. Bank Interest Law (Fiqh Wasathiyah Iqtishadiyah Approach). Yogyakarta: K-Media.
- Fadilah dan Kusmana, Adi. 2018. “Ziauddin Sardar’s Interpretation of the Qur’an.” Jurnal Education and Humanities Research (ASSEHR) 137.
- Gusmian, Islah. 2013. Treasures of Indonesian Tafsir from Hermeneutics to Ideology. Yogyakarta: LkiS.
- Haq dan Miatul Qudsia, M. Faishal. 2020. “Hermeneutics Revitalization as an Interpretation Approach (Abdullah Saeed's Hermeneutical Study." Miyah: Journal of Islamic Studies 16(1).
- Iffah Naf’atu Fina, Lien. 2015. “Abdullah Saeed's Contextual Interpretation: A Completion of Fazlur Rahman's Tafsir Ideas." Hermeneutics 9(1).
- Juliana, Niken and friends. 2021. “Abdullah Saeed's Thoughts on Riba and Its Implications for the Law of Bank Interest." Journal of Integration of Shari'ah Science 2(3).
- Kasim, Dulsukmi. 2020. “Socio-Historical Conditions Behind the text of the Prohibition of Riba and Its Implications for Conventional Bank Employees.” Islamic law 20(1).
- Masood, Ehsan. 2006. Introduction: The Ambiguous Intellectual”, dalam How Do You Know? Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations. London: Pluto Press.
- Muhammad al-Ghazali, Abu Hamid Muhammad bin. 2010. al-Mustasfanmin ‘Ilm al-Usul. Juz 2. Tahqiq: Muhammad bin Zahir Hafiz. Kairo: Dar al-Kutub al ilmiyah
- Musif, Ach. 2015. “Abdullah Saeed's Contemporary Islamic Thought and Its Implementation in the Riddah Case.” Ulumuna Journal of Islamic Studies publish by State Islamic Institute Mataram 19(1).
- Mustaqim, Abdul. 2010. Epistemology of Contemporary Interpretation. Yogyakarta: LkiS.
- ———. 2015. Research Methods Al-Quran and Tafsir. Yogyakarta: Idea Pres.
- ———. 2008. Shift in the Epistemology of Interpretation. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
- Quraish Shihab, M. 2013. Rules of Interpretation. Tangerang: Lentera Hati.
- Rachmawan, Hatib. 2013. “Contextual Qur'anic Hermeneutics: Methods of Interpreting the Qur'an Abdullah Saeed." Afkaruna 9(2).
- Rukmaniyah. 2015. “Ziauddin Sardar Against Muslim Fundamentalists.” Refleksi 12(2).
- Sa’dan, Masthuriyah. 2015. “Islamic Science, Nature and Human Beings: A Discussion on Ziauddin Sardar’s Thoughts.” Walisongo 23(2).
- Saeed, Abdullah. 2004. Questioning Islamic Banks: Criticism of Neo Revivalist Bank Interest Interpretations, Terj. Arif Maftuhin. Jakarta: Paramadina.
- ———.2006. Interpreting the Qur’an: Towards a Contemporary Approach. New York: Routledge.
- ———. 2015. 21st Century Al-Quran: Contextual Tafsir. bandung: Mizan Pustaka.
- ———. 2016. 21st Century Al-Quran: Contextual Tafsir, Terj. Ervan Nurtawab. Bandung: Mizan Pustaka.
- ———. 2017. Paradigm, Principles and Methods of Contextual Interpretation of the Quran, Terj. Lien Iffah Naf’atu Fina dan Ari Henri. Yogyakarta: Baitul Hikmah Press.
- Sardar, Ziauddin. 2011. Reading The Qur’an: The Contemporary Relevance of the Sacred Text of Islam. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ———. 2014. Reciting the Quran in the Mad Age; An Interpretation to Answer Recent Questions, Terj. Zainul Am, et al. Jakarta: Serambi Ilmu Semesta.
- ———. Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journeys of a Sceptical Muslim. London: Granta Books.
- Sari Wiwaha, Kurnia. 2018. "The Epistemology of the Islamic Paradigm: The Study of Ziauddin Sardar's Thoughts." Religious: Journal of Religious and Cross-Cultural Studies 3(1).
- Sarif dan Ridzwan Ahmad, Akbar. 2017. “The Concept of Maslahat and Mafsadah According to Imam al-Ghazali.” Tsaqafah 13(2).
- Solahudin, M. 2018. “Discussing Abdullah Saeed's Contextualist Approach in Understanding the Quran.” Qof 2(1).
- Subekhi, Muhammad . 2015. “Bank Interest and Riba in Abdullah Saeed's View and Its Relevance to Bank Interest in Indonesia." Qolamuna Journal 1(1).
- Taufik dan Muhammad Yasir, Muhammad. 2017. “Criticizing Ismail Raji Al-Faruqi's Concept of Islamization of Science: A Study of Ziauddin Sardar's Thoughts." Usuluddin Journal 25(2).
- Taufiqi Majid, Riza. 2020. “Riba in the Quran (Study of Thought Fazlur Rahman and Abdullah Saeed).” Muslim Heritage Journal 5(1).
- Yardho, Moh. 2019. “Reconstruction of Tafsir Mauwdu'i: Assumptions, Paradigms, and Implementation." Islamuna: Journal of Islamic Studies 6(1).
- Zaini, Muhammad. 2012. “Sources of Interpretation of the Qur'an.” Substantia Journal 14(11).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.