The Departement of Psychology, The Faculty of Social Sciences and Cultural Studies, The University of Trunojoyo, Madura East Java - Indonesia
A SPIRITUAL PATH OF A GRAVE DIGGER
Heart (qalb) has a higher function than do other sensory organs such as eyes and ears have because heart is the executing part of the soul that changes human spiritual potentiality into actuality (Ansari, 2003). Spiritual actuality of heart such as mukasyafah is possible when it has achieved cleanliness and clarity. Sufism as a spiritual path offers several steps to clean and purify heart. This study explores the spiritual path that has been experienced by a grave digger in the form of mukasyafah towards the sound of complaints and pain from a grave. The data of this essay was gained from interviews with a grave digger in Kediri, East Java. This study concludes that the spiritual path traversed by the grave digger is, among other things, the path of heart which is exercised by the subject by giving help, alleviating sufferings of others, praying for the deceased, and being gentle towards his fellow people. The path of reason is passed by the subject by doing what he obtained from his studying Islam. The path of group is done by having good relations with others. While the path of service is carried out by the subject by giving emphaty to other people who are experiencing distress, giving hands to those who ask for help and giving alms to those in need. The way of dhikr is done by always remembering Allah, realizing and believing in Allah as the provider of the provision and who regulates one's sustenance and being honest in work expecting God’s blessing.
Keywords : heart; spiritual path; grave digger
- Afandi, Nur Aziz & As’ari, Muhammad (2017) Kebebasan Murid Thariqah. Jurnal Psikologi Integratif Prodi Psikologi UIN Sunan Kalijaga. Vol. 5, Nomor 1, 2017
- Ansari, Zafar Afaq (2003) Al-Quran Bicara tentang Jiwa. Bandung: Arasy
- Frager, Robert (2014) Psikologi Sufi : untuk Transformasi hati, Jiwa dan Ruh. Jakarta: Zaman
- Jaenudin, Ujam (2012) Psikologi Transpersonal. Bandung: Pustaka Setia
- Surpriadi, Lalu (2013) Studi Komparatif Pemikiran Tasawuf Al-Gazali dan Ibn Taimiyah. Jurnal Studi Keislaman. Volume 17 Nomor 2 (Desember)
- Sutiyono, Agus (2013) Ilmu Ladunni dalam Perspektif Al-Ghazali. Jurnal Pendidikan Islam Vol. 7, Nomor 2 ( Oktober)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.