STAI Al Muhammad Cepu
COMMUNICATIVE COMPETENCE BASED ENGLISH SYLLABUS DESIGN FOR STUDENTS OF PTKI (Perguruan Tinggi Keagamaan Islam)
Communicative Competence (CC) is the target of language teaching today. It contains six competences: Linguistic Competence, Discourse Competence, Socio-Cultural Competence, Formulaic Competence, Interactional Competence, and Strategic Competence. Teaching English for students of PTKI should also convey those competences. The competences should be applied in the syllabus, the materials, etc. However, most of the English syllabus has not conveyed the highlight of those competences. This paper, therefore, aims to propose a syllabus design and the sample of materials based on Communicative Competence. The syllabus contains the highlight of those competences for each topic. The design, then, can be developed by the lecturers to meet the students’ needs.
Keywords : Communicative Competence, English Syllabus, PTKI
- Baker, C.L. (1989). English syntax (2nd printing). London: The MIT Press.
- Bhatia, V.K. (2004). Worlds of written discourse: Genre based view. London: Longman.
- Brown, H. Douglas. (2007). Principles of language learning and teaching, Fifth edition. San Fransisco: Longman.
- Celce-Murcia, Marianne., Zoltan Dőrnyei, Sarah Thurrell. (1995). Communicative competence: A pedagogically motivated model with content specifications. Issues in Applied Linguistics Vol. 6 (2), page 5-35.
- Celce-Murcia, Marianne and Elite Olshtain. (2000). Discourse and context in language teaching: A guide for language teachers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Celce-Murcia. (2008). Rethinking the role of communicative competence in language teaching. In Soler and Jordà (Ed). Intercultural language use and language learning: Spain: Springer.
- Comsky, Noam. (2002). Syntactic Structure. Paris: Mouton Publisher.
- Darwis, Djamaludin. (2001). English for Islamic Studies. Jakarta: PT Raja Grafindo Persada.
- Fromkin, Victoria, Robert Rodman, Nina Hyams. (2011). An introduction to language (Ninth Edition). Boston: Wadsworth.
- Goodwin, Janet. (2001). Teaching pronunciation. Edited by Marianne Celce-Murcia. Teaching English as a second or foreign language, Third edition. USA: Heinle & Heinley Thompson Learning.
- Halliday, M.A.K., and Hasan. (1985). Language, context, and text: Aspects of language in a social-semiotic perspective. Victoria: Deakin University
- Hoff, Erika. (2001). Language development: Second edition. USA: Wadsworth.
- Holmes, Janet. (1992). An introduction to Sociolinguistics. New York: Longman Group UK Limited.
- Levinson, Stephen C. (1991). Pragmatics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Madya, Suwarsih. (2013). Metodologi pengajaran bahasa: Dari era prametode sampai era pascametode. Yogyakarta: UNY Press.
- Nation, I.S.P., & Macalister, John. (2010). Language curriculum design. NY: Routledge.
- Nunan, David. (1988). The learner-centered curriculum. UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Nurgiyantoro, Burhan. (2012). Penilaian pembelajaran bahasa berbasis kompetensi, First Edition. Yogyakarta: BPFE.
- Palmer, F.R.. (1981). Semantics. Second edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rankema, J. (1993). Discourse studies: An introduction textbook. Philadelphia: John Benjamin’s Publishing Company.
- Roach, P. (1990). English phonetics and phonology: A practical course. New York: Cambridge University.
- Savignon, Sandra J. (2001). Communicative language teaching for the Twenty-First Century. Edited by Marianne Celce-Murcia. Teaching English as a second or foreign language, Third edition. USA: Heinle & Heinle Thompson Learning.
- Schmidt, Richard & Richards, Jack C. (2002). Longman dictionary of language teaching and applied linguistics. NY: Longman Pearson Education.
- Spolsky, Bernard. (1998). Sociolinguistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Strazny, Philipp. (2005). Encyclopedia of linguistics. New York: Fitzroy Dearborn.
- Verhoeven, Ludo. (1998). Sociolinguistics and education: The handbook of Sociolinguistics. Oxford: Blackwell Publisher Ltd.
- Widdowson, H.G. (2007). Discourse analysis. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- White, Ronald V. (1988). The ELT curriculum: Design, innovation, and management. UK: Basil Blackwell.
- Yule, George. (1996). Pragmatics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.