Assistant Professor, Institute of Communication Studies
RELIGIO-POLITICAL DISCOURSES IN DOCUMENTARY FILMS ON IRAQ PROMOTING PEACE OR CONFLICT
In the information age, media has become an important tool to seek information for clarity but it is paradoxical. This study shows whether documentaries are projecting skepticism and sarcasm of Iraqi people due to volatile, uncertain complex, and ambiguous (VUCA) conditions or projecting VUCA discourses for the restoration of peace and harmony. The object of this study consists of Oscar-winning and Oscar-nominated documentary films from 2003 to 2011 with a total of 45 films. The year 2003 is selected for its demarcation of U.S.-led invasion of Iraq which started in March 2003 and toppled over the government of Saddam Hussein. The year 2011 denotes the end with the departure of US troops in 2011. Through the criterion sampling, four films are selected that depict Iraq and all the four got nomination for Oscar that include: Iraq in Fragments (2006-Nomination); My Country My Country (2006-N); No End in Sight (2007-N); Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience (2007-N). To explore Iraqi people’s perspectives, a further sampling is applied and two documentaries are selected depicting entanglement of religion and politics in Iraq from Iraqi people’s perspective.
Keywords: Discourse;Documentary Film;Peace Journalism;VUCA
- Eijaz, A. (2012). Depiction of religions in Oscar-winning and Osca-nominated documentary films (1997-2006), An unpublished PhD thesis, University of the Punjab Lahore, Pakistan.
- Galtung, J., Ruge, M. H. (1965). The structure of foreign news: The presentation of the Congo, Cuba and Cyprus crises in four Norwegian newspapers, In Journal of Peace Research, Vol. 2(1), pp. 64-90.
- Galtung J. (2002). Peace Journalism – A Challenge. In Kempf, W. and Luostarinen, H. (eds) Journalism and the New World Order. Vol. 2. Studying War and the Media. Göteborg: Nordicom. Pp. 259–272.
- Lynch, J., McGoldrick, A. (2005). Peace journalism. Stroud: Hawthorn Press.
- Nichols, B. (1991). Representing reality: Issues and concepts in documentary (Vol. 681). Indiana University Press.
- Pramaggiore, M., Wallis, T. (2005). Film: A critical introduction. London: Laurence King Publishing.
- Rose, D. (2006). Analysis of moving images. In M. W. Bauer & G. Gaskell (Eds.). Qualitative researching with text, image and sound: A practical handbook (pp. 246-262). London: Sage Publications.
- Van Dijk, T. A. (2001). Critical discourse analysis, In Dalam Schiffrin, Deborah Tannen, Heidi E. Hamilton, (Eds.) The handbook of discourse analysis. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers. Pp. 352-371
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.