Pattimura University - Indonesia
Exploring Students’ Motivation and Vocabulary Achievement through Labeling Method
Motivation provides energies for students to decide efforts and they pursue it hardly. It is important to build students' motivation in learning English. Researcher's preliminary study toward the fourth grade of MIS Azzikir Kalialia in February 2019 indicated students' motivation was in the low category, while the result of the pre-test showed 35% of students did not achieve success standard in learning vocabulary. The objectives of the study is to explore how students are motivated by using labelling method and to improve students' vocabulary achievement by using labelling method. The number of the subject is 20 students. The instruments are the test, questionnaire, and observation under the Classroom Action Research method. After treatment, the questionnaire indicates students' motivation in high motivation and whole students achieve the standard of vocabulary achievement. Therefore, the labelling method promotes a way of English language teaching to build students' motivation and to improve vocabulary achievement in elementary grade.
Keywords : Exploring students' motivation and vocabulary achievement
- Ali, A. M. (2006). Methods of Teaching English (2006th ed.). Yordania.
- Allen, V. F. (1983). Techniques in Teaching Vocabulary (N. C. Russel & R. E. William, Eds.). Oxford University Press.
- Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational Research: Planing, Conducting and Evaluating Qualitative and Quantitative Research. Boston: Pearson Educational Inc.
- Direktorat Jenderal Pendidikan Dasar dan Menengah. (2015). Buku Panduan Penilaian untuk Sekolah Menengah pertama (SMP). Jakarta.
- Dörnyei, Z. (2001). Motivational Strategies in the Language Classroom. In D. Zoltan (Ed.), United States of America by Cambridge University Press (Vol. 61). https://doi.org/10.1353/cml.2005.0007
- Fitriana, F. N., Nurkamto, J., & Pudjobroto, H. (2012). A Correlation between Learning Motivation and Vocabulary Mastery and Reading Competence. Pusat Dokementasi Dan Informasi IImiah UNS, 1, 1–17. Retrieved from https://eprints.uns.ac.id/id/eprint/1278
- Gollwitzer, P. M., & Oettineen, G. (2001). Motivation : History of the Concept. In International Encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences (Vol. 15, pp. 10109–10112). Retrieved from http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:bsz:352-opus-56113
- Iksan, M., & Dirham, D. (2018). The Influence of the Economic Students’ Motivations and Language Learning Strategies towards Their English Achievement in STIE Muhammadiyah Palopo. Ethical Lingua: Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 5(1), 110–121. https://doi.org/10.30605/ethicallingua.v5i1.737
- Kainta, E. (2016). The Use of Concrete Things as Media of Teaching to Improve Students’ Vocabulary Achievement at MIS Azzikir Kalialia.
- Llach, P.A. and Gomez, A.B. (2017). Children’s Characteristic in Vocabulary Acquisition and use in the Written Production: Universidad de La Roja.
- Losby, J., & Wetmore, A. (2012, February). CDC Coffee Break: Using Likert Scales in Evaluation Survery Work. Natinonal Center for Chronic Diasese Preventetion and Health Promotion, 1–22. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/pubs/docs/cb_february_14_2012.pdf
- Marguerite Koons. (2013). Reading Is Easy or Ought To Be. Archway Publishing.
- Meiliana, N. (2016). The Application of The Right Brain Methods : The Association and Correlation Method In Optimizing Vocabulary Mastery at The Seventh Grade Students of SMPN 1 Rancah-Ciamis. IOSR Journal of Economics and Finance, 1(1), 38–50. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-b-000238666
- Moghadam, S. H., Zainal, Z., & Ghaderpour, M. (2012). A Review on the Important Role of Vocabulary Knowledge in Reading Comprehension Performance. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 66, 555–563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.11.300
- Moya, G. I. (2013). Enhancing Motivation in Vocabulary Learning: A Cognitive Approach (Universitat Jaume I). Retrieved from http://repositori.uji.es/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10234/113460/TFM_2013_garciaI.pdf?sequence=1
- Norbert, S. (2000). Vocabulary in Language Teaching. In R. C. Jack (Ed.), Cambrige University Press (Vol. 2). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-62703-254-4
- Steinbrecht, A., & Strausfeld, N. (2012). Letter from the Editors. Arthropod Structure and Development, 41(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asd.2011.11.002
- Syae Purohman, P. (2011). Classroom Action Research Alternative Research Activity for Teachers. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326083037%0AClassroom
- Thornburry, S. (2002). How to Teach Vocabulary. In S. Harmes (Ed.), Bluestone Press.
- Umar, & Irmayanti. (2017). Improving Students’ Vocabulary Mastery by Using Authentic Materials through Communicative Approach. Ethical Lingua Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 4(2), 151–164. Retrieved from http://journal.uncp.ac.id/index.php/ethicallingua/article/view/628%0AAbstract
- Waas, M. (2016) Motivating Students to Improve Vocabulary Mastery through Bingo Game at the 5th Grade of SD Kristen Belakang Soya.
- Zohrabi, M. (2011). An Evaluation of Classroom Activities and Exercises in ELT Classroom for General Purposes Course. ERIC English Language Teaching, 4(1), 141–151. Retrieved from www.ccsenet.org/elt