SMP CitiSchool - Indonesia
Analyzing Cohesion Device of Monologue Texts in Students’ Text Book for Eight Grade in Academic Year 2017/2018
This study aimed to describe the types of cohesive devices that were mostly used and also to find out which one the most cohesive text among texts in Students’ texts book (When English Rings a Bell) for Junior High School at eighth grade in the academic year of 2017/2018. The object of this study was monologue texts that are found in students’ texts book for Junior High School at eight grade in the academic year of 2017/2018. This study used qualitative approach. The researcher analyzed the data; First, the data were analyzed by dividing and numbering sentences into clauses, second, putting the number of cohesive devices into tables based on types, third, putting the number of cohesive devices in the form of a percentage, the last, interpreting based on the result.
Keywords : Text and Context, Cohesive Devices, Monologue Texts, and Students’ Texts Book
- Arikunto, Suharsimi (2006). Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Jakarta: PT Rineka Cipta.
- Bull, Victoria.ed (2008). Oxford Learner’s Pocket Dictionary.New York: Oxford University Press.
- Cook, G, (1989). Discourse, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Crystal, D, (1987). The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language, Cambridge University Press
- Fadlilah, Sayyidatul. (2010). Cohesion Analysis of Reading Texts Used in English textbooks for Islamic Studies, Research report, Semarang: Fakultas Ilmu Tarbiyah UIN Walisongo.
- Fani, Entika, Prastikawati, and Siti Musarokah. (2010). Writing 3. Handout & Assignments.
- Gerot and Wignell. (1994). Making Sense of Functional Grammar, Australia: Gerd Antipodean Educational Enterprises.
- Halliday and Hasan. (1976). Cohesion in English. Singapore: Longman Singapore Publishers.
- Halliday and Hasan. (1989). Language, Context, and Text: Aspects of Language in Social-semiotic Perspective, Hongkong: Oxford University Press.
- Hartono, Rudi. (2005). Genre-Based Writing. Semarang: English Department of Semarang State University.
- Heyland, Ken. (2002). Teaching and Researching Writing. Pearson: Longman.
- Malinowski. (1935). (in Halliday and Hasan 1989)The Problem of Meaning in Primitive Languages, Kegan Paul, London.
- Masithoh, Hanita. (2016). Grammatical Cohesion Found in Recount Texts of “Pathway to English” X Grade Curriculum 2014 General Program by Erlangga, Thesis, English Education Department UIN Walisongo Semarang.
- Nunan, David. (1993). Introducing Discourse Analysis. England: Penguin English.
- Nunan, David. (1992). Research Method in Language Learning. USA: Cambridge University.
- Nuraini, Dewi. (2017). Analysing Cohesion of Monologue Texts Found in Paper-Based National Examination for Junior High School in The Academic Year of 2016/2017, Thesis, English Education Department UIN Walisongo Semarang.
- Richards, Jack. (2002). In HanitaMasithoh (2016)Curriculum Development in Language Teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Siahaan and Shinoda. (2008). Generic Text Structure, Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu.
- Widyaningrum, Leily. (2017). The Application of CIRC (Cooperative Integrated Reading and Composition) on Learning Writing of Descriptive Text, A Study at Mts NU Nurul Huda Kudus in the Academic Year of 2016/2017, Thesis, English Education Department UIN Walisongo Semarang.