Universitas Islam Negeri (UIN) Walisongo Semarang - Indonesia
Enhancing Students’ Ability in Writing Descriptive Text through Graphic Organizers
Graphic organizers are visual displays of crucial content information designed to benefit learners who have difficulty organizing information and it could help the students to build and generate ideas. The study was aimed at finding the answers to the following research questions: (1) How is the implementation of graphic organizers to enhance students' ability in writing the descriptive text? (2) How is the enhancement of students' ability in writing descriptive text through graphic organizers? This study was a classroom action research. The data were obtained through documentation, observation, and test. It was conducted in three cycles with the 24 eighth grade students of MTs Nurul Islam Juwangi in the academic year of 2016/2017. The result of this research showed that students’ ability was improved in each cycle after they were taught using graphic organizers. They were better in their descriptive text writing concerning content, organization, vocabulary, language use, and mechanic.
Keywords : writing ability, descriptive text, graphic organizers.
- Arikunto, Suharsimi. Dasar-DasarEvaluasiPendidikan.Yogyakarta: BinaAksara. (1986).
- _______, Suhardjo and Supardi.PenelitianTindakanKelas.Jakarta: BumiAksara. (2008).
- Arsyad, Azhar. MediaPembelajaran. Jakarta: PT Raja GrafindoPersada. (2003).
- Harmer, Jeremy. The Practice of English Language Teaching fourth Edition. Pearson Longman: England.
- _______. How to Teach Writing.England: Pearson. (2007).
- Karen Blanchard and Christina Root, Ready to Write: A First Composition Text “Third Edition.‟ United State of America: Longman. (1951).
- Katherine S. McKnight, Ph.D.The Teacher’s Big Book of Graphic Organizers. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (2010).
- Mustafa EQ, Zainal. Mengurai Variabel Hingga Instrumen. Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu, (2013).
- Meyers, Gateways to Academic Writing, New York: Pearson, (2005).
- ___.Research Methodology in Language Learning.Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (2006).
- Sugiyono, Metode Penelitian Pendidikan: Pendekatan Kuantitatif, kualitatif, danR & D, Bandung: Alfabeta, (2010).
- Suyadi, Panduan Penelitian Tindakan Kelas, Jogjakarta: Diva Press, (2012).
- Tarwiyah, Siti. (2015). “Functioning Graphic Organizer as One of Literacy Media” in Vision: Journal for Language and Foreign Language Learning Vol. 4 No. 1 (2015). Retrieved on August 10, 2017, from http://journal.walisongo.ac.id/index.php/vision/article/view/1635/1202)
- Wiersma, William. Research Methods in Education.Massachusetts: Simon and Schuster. (1995).